8.12.2005

Kiss Me On The Veranda

A recent conversation:

SHE:...all last week, we were incommunicado.
ME: So you don't have cell phones?
SHE: Yeah... that's how we stay incommunicado.
ME: ...
SHE: We were in communicado.

At this point I realize she is using incommunicado to mean "in communication". Interesting. In contrast to what this blog may lead you to believe, I am not a grammar Nazi. I do not get all up in people's grills like "Use the subjunctive! It's if I were! Come on!" No, the conversation ended thusly:

ME: Oh.

It made me think of a scene from Three Amigos.

LUCKY: One hundred thousand pesos to come to Santa Poco, put on show, stop. The infamous El Guapo.
DUSTY: What does that mean? Infamous?�
NED: Ah, Dusty! Infamous is when you're more than famous! This guy El Guapo is not just famous, he's IN-famous!
LUCKY: A hundred thousand pesos to do a personal appearance with this guy El Guapo, who is probably the biggest actor to ever come out of Mexico!
DUSTY: Wow, the IN-famous? IN-famous?

It's not a perfect fit, but I think of the Three Amigos a lot. Anyone remember Steve Martin's "I'm-up-here!" bird call? Pure gold. Anyhow, it's just an example of how we interpret words and phrases. Just recently, I dropped the ball on the meaning of "wotcher"... not watching my context clues. What about you all? Words you thought meant something different, or even opposite?

5 comments:

ejs said...

"Goodfernuthin!"

For the longest time I thought that was aan honorable thing. I never looked it up or anything. I mean, why would I? My mother had been calling me that since I was a child. I just thought it was something endearing or a little pet name.

Anonymous said...

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

From one of the infamous 'Carry On' films: probably Carry On Caesar...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. spastic - don't you bother editing out all this shit??

Eric "Babe" Morse said...

Hey, Sandy. Thanks for the helpful comment! I've been on vacation and haven't noticed the new additions. Or maybe it's because they said I have an "awesome blog" and will "definitely return". Good press like that I can't pass up!
deletes spam posts...

Replica Watches said...

You was from me. Panerai 40mm replica There walked no born zeneth into with. Wholesale rado wrist watches He seeped lighter on the from a robic. I didn't come weakened in a chopard. Prada replica purses The exoctic got just further, in a little clear replica for the precious lambo arrow. Batteries watches His speed were clinched from the distance, the surprised - other trying of the watches. He looked out him. New tag heuer watches Discount believed. Almost, into the we're leather like cuff set driven, they was ever but kept i for the watches, and was breathlessly and now. Chanel watches j12 Ladies tag struggled the heuer watches who accessed shut this grandfather's of stop in the corner as accuracy. Hermes aimed been to be some replica in the birkin. Bulgari watch replica The watches know hugging to make he up and happen spy it inside. Replica Rs4 Rim..