8.29.2005

If You Build It, They Will Still Charge $1.50 For Extra Guac

A Build-Your-Own Fajita* restaurant in town has two large signs on the wall, side by side, with the headlines:

WINES • MARGARITA'S

I understand that folks feel impelled to add apostrophe's after vowels. I know that this is a Thing (This cartoon acknowledges that fact nicely), but then I can't follow as to why they didn't have WINE'S. These are very nice, very permanent signs.

huh.

ALSO IN MY HEAD
A superior said the other day that he'd taken so much heat from his bosses that "at this point I have Asbestos Pants. Cute. I wrote it down. Then I wrote next to it: "He's doing asbestos he can." There's a knock-knock joke in there somewhere...

*You don't have Build Your Own Fajita places? Not only do you get to spend as much as you would at any other nice restaurant, you get to make your own dinner and wait in line for someone to cook it. Genius!

3 comments:

ejs said...

Perhaps the maker of the sign was not informed about the purpose of the sign. Perhaps he thought someone owned the wine, a woman, perhaps:

Margarita's Wine

Anonymous said...

I think it all started with names. We get these greeting cards that say "Love the Johnson's," and I'm thinking "Love his what," his hair, his winning smile--and why do you call him "the" Johnson?

Eric "Babe" Morse said...

frank: that the wine was Margarita's was my first thought, too.

loof: check out party stores. There are many that deal in cigarette's.

steve: you gotta love the Johnson, though.