6.06.2005

Now, With Less Incompetence!

It's graduation season, which means that it's time again to reinforce the bad habits of misspellers. Even though "Congradulations!" is a fairly clever wordplay, it's encouraging those who spell it that way year-round to continue.
The same goes for those who call their elementary school arboretum a "kinder-garden". It's not helping.

Back to graduation. Our local bakery has a sign advertising:

CAKES
FOR GRAD'S

Sigh. On this same sign, it advertises the ability to place a photo of your child on the cake. It then proclaims this guarantee:

IF WE LOSE YOUR PHOTO, THE CAKE IS FREE!

Do most people go in assuming their photo will be lost? Is this a big problem? And now that it's in print, will folks be hoping the photo gets lost so they can cash in on the free-cake deal? I would hope that if they lost my photo, a free cake would be the least they would do. Advertising this is baffling to me.

For the record, I'm all for cake. Big fan. Photo ones, especially. If I can enjoy a sugar high and eat your face, that's just icing on the cake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a point as far as the advertising "we compensate for our own screwups" bit. Seems to me that compensating customers for the business' mistakes should be commonplace and not need advertising.
It makes it seem like the fact that a business would pay for their own mistakes is a unique thing. But then again, maybe it is among the surely competetive business of cake manufacturing, I can't say I'm an expert on that particular strain of business, especially the "your face on a cake" category. Here's hoping that common courtesy and honesty are still prevalent in other establishments, if not the cake manufacturing one.

ACoolKid said...

I think if the sign had said:

"Cake's for Grads!"

in an affirmative fashion, I would probably have said "Dang straight," and signed up for classes somewhere.

Someday, then, the cake would be mine...

ejs said...

"Sit on my cake and tell me that you love me,
I'll sit on your cake and tell you I love you!"

Eric "Babe" Morse said...

frank: spam, spam, spam, spam...

SC: Dude, yes. I have never been able to tell the minimum-wager at the counter to give me a free supersize because she didn't ask. What a hassle, and I'm probably getting her in trouble, and I'm glad she didn't hassle me in the first place.
Mmmmm... tort.