11.02.2007

It's Life, Jim. But not as we know it.

I wanna live
with a cinnamon girl
I could be happy

the rest of my life

With a cinnamon girl.

-Neil Young, "Cinnamon Girl"


So, I'm not allowed to do the shopping very often.

When I do do the shopping (yes, I just said do-do), I usually end up buying things not on the list. I tend to steer toward store-brand and generic items, as I am a bit of a cheapskate. Which is why I found myself investigating the price per ounce of every cereal in the aisle, instead of just picking up the 14 oz. Honey Nut Cheerios as instructed. As I drifted toward the Quaker end of things, I saw this:



and I thought "Are they serious? A cinnamon girl on the box of cinnamon cereal?"

Come on.

Perhaps this is unintentional. After all, the regular Life box cover has a boy with Asian features... maybe just a coincidence that occurred as a result of Cereal Box Diversity. And, of course, some would argue whether the girl in question is indeed cinnamon in tone. I am not one to make this call. By the way, I am generally in favor of incorporating a variety of ethnicities in product labeling.

But, again: come on.

Life has other flavors, too. They're not in all stores, but I was able to get a photo of the Chocolate Oat Crunch Life box cover:

chocoalte_productDetailsBox copy

Addendum #1: It seems that it is unclear that the Chocolate Life has a photo of Ray Nagin on its front, therein lying the humor.

Addendum #2: I asked a colleague if he'd seen "Cinnamon Life", and he said: "is that one of those urban magazines the kids read?"

No comments: